In blog, Sports-News

First, was his unexpected belt loss by a devastating knock out delivered in hands of Chris Weidman. A belt that he carried on his waist for 7 years and successfully defended in 10 different occasions. The longest title defense streak in UFC history.

Then was his second consecutive loss against Weidman, where everyone expected the former Champion’s comeback. Sadly for Silva, he suffered a horrible injury, after Chris Weidman checked a leg kick thrown by the “Spider”.

Silva dropped to the mat grabbing his left leg, showing terrible pain and not for less. He suffered the fracture of his left fibula and tibia, ending the fight via TKO in the second round.

Most recently, last Thursday August 13th, the Nevada State Athletic Commission delivered another KO to the Spider. The NSAC suspended Anderson Silva for one year from competition, after failing drug tests ahead of his clash with Nick Diaz at UFC 183 on January 31st, 2015.

UFC 1In two years, Anderson Silva, one of the greatest and most respected MMA fighters in the world, has seen how his entire career has collapsed.

The Wrong Strategy

Silva is well known in the octagon for his versatility and amazing reflects, but the MMA artist wasn’t capable on dodging the commissioners’ questions during the hearing. Siva’s inconsistent explanation after testing positive to drostanolone metabolites, triggered the severe punishment, given by the NSAC.

According to sources if Silva had accepted his mistake, the commission would have come easier on him, but Silva denied using legal substances from the beginning.

Nonetheless, according to Yahoo Sports, during the hearing Silva admitted taking Oxazepam, benzodiazepine used to treat anxiety and acute alcohol withdrawal, as well as Temazepam. Also benzodiazepine, Temazepam is a sedative-hypnotic used to treat insomnia.

He said a physician in Brazil prescribed him those drugs. Silva explained, he first took them late last year after he injured his sciatic nerve and spent a night in the hospital.

Silva testified that he took them again after the weigh-in on Jan. 30. He said he wasn’t feeling well after the weigh-in and took the medication when he got back to his room.

Besides the different inconsistencies in Silva’s story, the commissioners noted several times they didn’t feel he was giving them the entire truth.

mma fighterTherefore, the Spider was fined the full $200,000 win purse and an additional 30 percent of the $800,000 fight purse. Also, Silva’s win over Diaz was turned into a no-contest.

What’s Next?

This suspension, could be a hard blow for Anderson Silva, cause he is no youngster… The Brazilian is 40 and retirement is getting closer. One full year out of competition could be destructive to his career.

However, luckily for the Spider and UFC fans, apparently Silva’s suspension is retroactive to UFC 183 and runs until Jan. 31, 2016. So, there is a chance that we could see one of the most amazing fighters in the world, stepping in the octagon, one more time.

Remember you can follow the latest UFC and MMA news, stats and recent information at Booking Per Head. Live the thrill of combats sports and be one step ahead with Booking Per Head.

Recommended Posts