In just a few days, the whole world will be concentrated in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. -The major international multi-sport event in the world and a rare opportunity for sportsbooks, to make big bucks.
Just like we exposed on our previous post, the betting possibilities with the Olympics are endless. But there are certain events that will probably gather all the fan’s attention and it is where you, as a bookie should be aiming.
Here is a selection of some of the most popular and therefore profitable Olympic sports.
- Athletics. It is one of the most important and historical sports in the Olympics, and it is composed of various disciplines. One of the most popular is the Men’s 100 meters, with international stars competing, such as the defending champion, Jamaica’s Usain Bolt.
- Swimming. Betting on swimming is hugely popular. Superstars like Michael Phelps, James Magnussen and Austraila’s comeback king Ian Thorpe are ones to watch out for.
- Tennis. With worldwide elite stars such as Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray or the Williams sisters, tennis is by far one of the most popular and exciting events of the Olympics. This one for sure will bring big bucks along.
- Basketball. Of course, for many, basketball is the game to watch. I believe no one can forget the “Dream Team” and their amazing performance. The question is, how long is it going to take to see such a performance, ever again?
- Rugby. Rugby is a very popular sport in Europe and it has grown fast in North America. As it has been recently added to this Olympic games, it is definitely a sport to focus on.
- Soccer. Soccer is already the most popular sport in the world. Nonetheless, for this Olympics, it brings along some special and tasty ingredients. To begin with, the Olympics are being held at Brazil, the well-known “Mecca” of soccer. In addition, during the last World Cup, their performance was the worst in history and it is a great opportunity to straight things up. As if that wasn’t enough their historical rival –Argentina- is the defending champion. On the other hand, soccer begins a couple of days earlier because the tournament is quite long, so bookies will have more days to make money from it.
- Tae Kwon Do. It is the most practiced martial art in the world. With so many elite athletes from all over the world, throwing amazing flying spinning kicks, Tae kwon Do is definitely one of the most profitable sports in these Olympics.
- Boxing. Everyone knows boxing. It is easy to bet on and exciting to watch.
- Fencing. Where else can you see two guys dueling with swords! Fencing can be a pretty interesting combat sport to bet on.
For sure, the cherry on top for the betting industry during the Olympics is the props, future or special bets. In this department, imagination is the limit. You can come up with almost anything. For instance: It has been always kept secret who will light the Olympic torch? Many, speculate that Brazilian soccer legend Pelé will do the honors at the opening ceremony, but can you put money on him?
There are other interesting bets that will call a lot of people’s attention, like how many gold medals will Michael Phelps get this time? Or will the world’s most dominant women’s tennis player, Serena Williams get her second singles gold and her fourth in doubles? Can Usain Bolt, defend his championship? An of course, which country will win the medal table?
So, now you know it. Get ready and don’t miss this great opportunity to make some money, while enjoying all the excitement of the Rio 2016 Olympic games.