2015 has been a choppy year in legal terms for many NFL players. Recently, two Cleveland Browns defensive players were arrested on a morning traffic stop, during Christmas.
Apparently, linebacker Armonty Bryant and cornerback De’Ante Saunders were stopped and arrested at 2:16 a.m. ET Friday. According to Scott Taylor of WOIO TV, a gun and the prescription drug Adderall were found in the car after Bryant and Saunders were stopped.
Browns GM Ray Farmer sent out a statement Saturday morning saying the team was aware of the fact and that Bryant, who has a history of legal troubles, will not play in Sunday’s Week 16 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Farmer added the incident is subject to the NFL’s personal conduct policy.
Sadly for the NFL and the US professional sports scene, the arrest of the Browns defensive players isn’t one-off case. According to USA Today, before the Bryant and Saunders’ incident, there were a total of 36 NFL players arrested during 2015, so far.
This truly is a wake-up call for everyone in general, to look back at our home, neighborhood, state and country, and try to figure “what the hell” is going on with our society.
We need to focus on what kind of example our kids, US citizens and the entire world is receiving from these great athletes and what we expect from them. Now, I understand we are all human beings, and we all make mistakes. But, when you became a public figure you have bigger responsibilities.
On the other hand, the kind of pressure some of these athletes face every day is simply immeasurable. Therefore, we need to be supportive and understanding, but we should do this with everybody, no matter if it is a great sports hero or just your neighbor.
Of course, being understanding doesn’t mean we should tolerate miss conducts or illegal behaviors from anybody. But, sometimes we tend to lynch public figures faster than anyone else. Maybe, because we feel our heroes let us down.
Here is the complete list of NFL players who has been arrested this 2015. It is important to keep in mind that not all of them end up with a conviction, but it sure should make us reflect a little bit about the whole thing.
- 2015-12-19 JAC – Justin Blackmon: Arrested for drunken driving in Carter County, Okla. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-10-15 SEA – Derrick Coleman: Hit-and-run. Accused of leaving the scene of an accident. Resolution undetermined. The team suspended him.
- 2015-09-30 TEN – Dorian Green-Beckham: Pulled over for speeding in Missouri.
- 2015-08-26 SF – Ahmad Brooks: Accused of misdemeanor sexual battery stemming from a December 2014 incident at the home of teammate Ray McDonald. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-08-06 SF – Aldon Smith: Accused of hitting a parked vehicle with his vehicle. Resolution undetermined. Released by team.
- 2015-07-28 CAR – Stephen: Pulled over for seatbelt violation, cited for possession of drug paraphernalia after an officer smelled marijuana. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-07-20 KC – Justin Cox DB: Accused of domestic violence, trespassing, and burglary in Mississippi. Resolution undetermined. Released by team.
- 2015-07-20 TEN – Justin Hunter: Charged with felonious assault stemming from an incident at a Virginia Beach bar July 3. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-07-14 NYJ – Sheldon Richardson: Accused of resisting arrest after street racing. Gun found under the seat. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-07-04 GB – Andrew Quarless: Accused of firing a gun in public in Miami Beach, a misdemeanor offense.
- 2015-07-01 HOU – Brandon Ivory: Accused of the first-degree burglary in Alabama. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-06-07 NE – Brandon Spikes: Hit-and-run. Accused of leaving the scene of a crash. He was cut by the team. Pleaded guilty to multiple charges, one year of probation.
- 2015-05-29 ATL – Prince Shembo: Accused of killing ex-girlfriend’s Yorkie dog. Charged. Released by team.
- 2015-05-25 CHI – Ray McDonald: Accused of assaulting a woman while she was holding a baby in Santa Clara, Calif. Released by team.
- 2015-04-17 DET – Rodney Austin: Accused of pushing mother of his child and damaging her phone. One-year probation. Team released him.
- 2015-03-29 NO – Brian Dixon: Pulled over in Miami, accused of resisting officer. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-03-18 BAL – Bernard Pierce: Failed sobriety tests after pulled over for speeding in Baltimore County. Resolution undetermined. Team released him.
- 2015-03-15 PIT – Antwon Blake: Accused of being drunk in public in Oceanside, Calif. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-03-09 ARI – Alex Okafor: Evading arrest. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-03-05 SF – Bruce Miller: Suspected of misdemeanor battery in domestic incident in Santa Clara, Calif.
- 2015-03-01 GB – Jarrett Bush: Public intoxication. Accused of disorderly conduct. Case dropped.
- 2015-03-01 BAL – Victor Hampton: Pulled over in Charlotte, charged with driving while impaired and driving 100 mph in a 55-mph zone. Resolution undetermined. Team cut him.
- 2015-02-16 PHI – Nate Allen: Indecent exposure. Case dropped. Allen cleared of all wrongdoing.
- 2015-02-05 IND – Ahmad Bradshaw: Pulled over in Preble County, Ohio, for traffic violation, accused of marijuana possession. NFL one-game suspension.
- 2015-02-04 DAL – Joseph Randle: Accused of marijuana possession in Wichita, Kan. Dropped by police. NFL suspended four games.
- 2015-02-03 IND – D’Qwell Jackson: Accused of hitting a pizza delivery driver in the head in a dispute over a parking space. Resolution undetermined.
- 2015-02-03 GB – Letroy Guion: Pulled over in Florida, accused of drug possession, he also had a gun and $190,000 in cash. Deferred prosecution, probation.
- 2015-02-02 BAL – Terrence Cody: Charged with two felony counts of aggravated animal cruelty after one of his dogs died, illegal possession of alligator and marijuana. Released by team.
- 2015-01-31 ARI – Bobby Massie: He flunked two sobriety tests and had a blood-alcohol content of 0.14 percent. Resolution undetermined. NFL suspended three games.
- 2015-01-23 IND – Andrew Jackson: Accused of drunk driving, blood-alcohol content of .088. Pleaded guilty.
- 2015-01-19 GB – Datone Jones: Accused of marijuana possession in Green Bay. Convicted, $880 fine, one-game suspension.
- 2015-01-14 IND – Josh McNary: Accused of rape, battery and criminal confinement of woman who said he attacked her Dec. 1 after night of drinking.
- 2015-01-10 NYJ – Oday Aboushi: Accused of possessing marijuana and drug paraphernalia. NFL suspended one game.
- 2015-01-09 NYJ – Chris Johnson: Accused of misdemeanor gun offense after two guns were found in his vehicle. Case dropped by prosecutors.
- 2015-01-07 CHI – Tim Jennings: Accused of drunken and reckless driving.
- 2015-01-05 NO – Junior Galette: Accused of simple battery against woman in Galette’s home. Case dropped by prosecutors.